About Energy Policy Group
The Energy Policy Group (EPG) is a Bucharest-based non-profit, independent think-tank specialising in energy and climate policy, market analytics and decarbonisation strategies. Founded in 2014, EPG promotes decarbonisation measures and policies to achieve long-term emissions reductions across all economic sectors. By conducting research and stakeholder engagement, EPG supports decision-making and disseminates knowledge on the transition to climate neutrality, including through public conferences, roundtables, and workshops. The organisation’s publications range from in-depth reports to policy briefs and opinion pieces and are freely available to the public. EPG’s funding comes mainly from research grants.
This position is part of the Clean Economy programme, one of EPG’s two research programmes. The Clean Economy programme covers a range of ongoing projects, including on industrial decarbonisation, carbon capture and storage, energy efficiency in buildings, and climate governance. EPG’s wider research activity includes renewable energy and new energy vectors, covered by the Energy Systems programme.
The selected candidate will focus on industrial decarbonisation research within the Clean Economy programme, a rapidly expanding area of interest in Romania and the EU. The candidate will join our team of researchers within the Clean Economy programme and is expected to contribute to our research as well as to the broader strategic thinking of EPG and in particular to the work on industrial decarbonisation and green public procurement for steel and cement. In particular, the selected candidate will conduct research on lead market creation for green industrial products, and product standards for cement, steel and chemicals, among other areas of research.
The position is offered for a one-year fixed-term contract, with possibility of extension to an indefinite-term contract. The level of the position will be decided based on the qualifications of the successful candidate.
EPG welcomes applications from a diversity of backgrounds irrespective of age, gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or disability.
As a Researcher/Senior Researcher in industrial decarbonisation, your main tasks would be:
- Managing research activities in the field of industrial decarbonisation, with a particular focus on steel, cement, and chemicals
- Conducting analysis on specific projects in the field of industrial decarbonisation, with a particular focus on steel, cement, and chemicals, and on lead market creation, green public procurement, and product standards
- Monitoring key policy developments at national and EU levels, with a focus on industrial policy
- Actively participating in stakeholder engagement, including organising events and delivering presentations
- Actively participating in the consortia of our international projects (if relevant)
- Building a broad and relevant network of key stakeholders from industry, authorities, and civil society
- Writing op-eds and commentaries based on research findings
- Assisting in applications for new projects or funding
- Supporting EPG’s overall activity at the office, including reviewing draft publications related to their work area
Relevant background and experience
We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the following relevant background and experience:
- Undergraduate degree in public policy or economics, or engineering or other relevant technical degree.
- Postgraduate qualification in a field related to industrial, climate or energy policy, economics, or engineering.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in the energy sector and/or climate policy (Researcher) or 5 years (Senior Researcher).
- Demonstrable knowledge of the issue of industrial emissions, the EU Emissions Trading System, and national- and EU-level energy and climate policies. A good understanding of the Romanian industry represents an advantage.
- Critical thinking and strong analytical capabilities.
- Ability to summarise complex research and communicate effectively to both expert and lay audiences.
- Demonstrable presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a diverse team of experts.
- Experience in organising events, including moderation of discussions or debates.
- A good track record of stakeholder engagement and access to a network of relevant experts is considered an advantage.
- Experience in international research grants is an advantage.
- Excellent command of English and Romanian, both orally and in writing.
EPG is a dynamic organisation with significant activity in Romania and internationally, and we look for dedicated, committed colleagues to help us in our mission to decarbonise Romania’s economy and achieve long-term climate goals at national and EU level. We would be delighted to hear from you if you:
- Are dedicated to supporting the decarbonisation of the Romanian and EU economy.
- Understand and appreciate the central role of policy in reaching climate targets.
- Are intellectually curious and able to engage in multidisciplinary research.
- Have great analytical capabilities and are confident in working with complex information.
- Can communicate in a concise, yet nuanced manner.
- Are willing to participate in the dissemination of EPG’s work.
- Are proactive and keen to share your own ideas for EPG’s future work.
- Work well in a team, but are also capable of organising your own work.
What EPG offers
For this position, we are offering full-time employment for a fixed one-year contract, with possibility of further extension to an indefinite-term contract, including 23 days of legal holiday entitlement and a flexible work environment which can accommodate remote working. At EPG, you will have the opportunity to progress in your career and gain valuable knowledge and insights on energy and climate policy. EPG also encourages the participation of its employees in training and education programmes in relevant areas.
Salary range (net salary): €1450-1950 (Senior Researcher), €1050-1450 (Researcher), based on relevant experience.
How to apply
The deadline for applications is August 27th 2023 EOD. Interviews will be conducted in the first half of September. Successful candidates are expected to start as soon as possible (preferably late September/early October). Complete applications in English should be emailed to email@example.com, mentioning the position you are applying for (Researcher or Senior Researcher Industry) and your name. The email should contain a single pdf file with:
- A CV maximum of 2 pages
- A cover letter of maximum one page outlining your interest and motivation for applying
- A list of maximum one page with your personal publications
Incomplete application will not be considered. You must have the right to work in the EU.
Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to provide a written sample in English of no more than 20 pages.
Unfortunately, we will not be able to reply to every candidate. If you have not received a reply within two weeks of the application deadline, you should consider you application unsuccessful.
If you are in need of further details regarding this position, please contact Luciana Miu, EPG Head of Clean Economy: firstname.lastname@example.org